Many of you know my girlfriend, Stacy. I met her in college and we've always stayed in touch through the years. She's moved around from Peace Corp in Guyana, South America, back to Seattle, down to NE Arizona for a job on the Navajo Reservation. And her latest stint - Rwanda! She took a position with the Embassy in Kigali, Rwanda. I have been and continue to be, so damn excited and thrilled for this new adventure for her and her family.
 |
| At the airport. Our flights came in 20 minutes apart, how lucky is that? |
Stacy had a conference in Minneapolis only a month after getting to Rwanda. Barely getting over jet-lag from huge move, the girl had to get back on a plane and fly 19 hours to Minneapolis. Completely nuts. But the best part of this? I met her there..and we have a quick, fabulous weekend of just girl time. No kids, no husbands, no laundry, cleaning, screaming, whining.......just us. Just talking, more talking, eating, drinking, laughing, spa'ing, shopping fabulous weekend.
 |
| More drinking and eating..and talking! |
I tried to soak up every last minute, as it will mostly likely be a long time before I see this girl again. Rwanda, is not on the "last minute airfare deals". Not only is it very expensive to get to, the air travel is crazy. But after hearing her talk about it, I would love to go. It sounds amazing, and not at all the media image you think of.
But back to my weekend. Check out this pic, its a rolling beer cart thing. I don't know even know what you call it. All I know, is we looked up and saw this thing, being powered by people cycling....while drinking beer, pedaling all around the city. Its like a bar on wheels, people - powered. We didn't get on...but we should have!
 |
| One last latte before I leave for the airport. |
Stacy stayed on for a week long medical conference. And I got on a plane back to my own reality. The following Saturday, she got back on plane and flew another 19 hours to her new home..and waiting family.
Its so very hard to have her so damn far away, but I love her adventurous spirit and can't wait for her
tales.
No comments:
Post a Comment