Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sled Dogs

On rare occasion, Mom and Dad do get out for adventures sans kids.    Michael surprised me with a Dog Sled Ride for my birthday.  He roped my good friend Kathryn to come along and have some fun with me.   This is a bit ironic, because I wouldn't exactly call Kathryn a dog person.  Its not that she does not like them, more that she is just fine without them.  And the really hairy, fluffy, and stinkier they are......well, yeah she isn't so much into that.  


We met up with Tim from THZ Kennels for an hour long ride.   Hard not to smile and giggle at 12 huge, adorable, happy, fluffy tailed Malamutes.   Walking up to his truck with all the dogs tied up is just a bit intimidating.   They start to bark and howl and carry on.   Tim yells and they all pipe down.  All of them were very friendly and couldn't get enough pets.  

I asked if they all really get going when one starts to howl.  His response was they all like to have a good howl session after dinner each night.  I tried to imagine his house/property and 12 large dogs howling to their hearts delight.  Needless to say, I asked about his neighbors.  Well I guess the neighbors have dogs too, so no hard feelings.   But local campers have been reported to ask Park Rangers if Coyotes or Wolves in the area.    So if your out camping in the Lake Wenatchee area and hear what you think might be a bunch of coyotes howling....it just might be an easy going, happy bunch of Malamutes celebrating their nightly howl!


We loaded up in the sled and headed out for a nice ride.  It was a gorgeous sunny day and we really lucked out with the weather.   One thing became apparent immediately, that we really hadn't thought about at all before the trip.    And that is, how much 12 big dogs can poop and pee on a 1.5 hour dog sled ride.   And well, the sled being behind the dogs, we got a birds eye view of it all.   12 big doggy butts happily running along and if one dog has to pee, they all have to pee.    After awhile you just can't but help giggle and make crude jokes, the fourth grader comes out in all of us.   


Tim brings along another dog, Comet on each trip.   Comet is their house dog.  She is is part Border Collie and part Labrador.  She easily has the best job in the whole gang.   She is not part of the team, therefore just runs along and has the most fun any dog could have out in the snow.   I think this easily might have been the happiest dog I'd ever met.



It was a fantastic trip, on a peaceful afternoon in the snow.   Loved hearing from Tim and all his experience with dogs and his many stories.

1 comment:

WasSoggyInSeattle said...

Ahh... I wanna do that !! HOW fun! I never would have thought about them pooping & peeing while in harness. but yeah, if one pees, they ALL gotta pee. Welcome to a dogs life.

I'm guessing that you didn't get out with a little blue doggie poop bags and pick it all up? :-)

Thanks for sharing!