Monday, December 10, 2012

I don't see Santa

Every night with the girls we have a pretty strict routine about bedtime.  I had read books to Makena and was about to sing her a song, last part before lights out.   Lately, she is quite the funny little thing and her words coming out more and more are wonderful.  Here was our conversation:

Me:   Makena, which song would you like?  Frosty, Rudolph, Santa Claus, Jingle Bells?
Makena:   Santa Caus comin to our house.  Santa comin to our house.   Bring Dora Dollhouse and take.
Me:   Yes, Santa will come.  What is he bringing?
Makena:   Santa Caus bring Dora Dollhouse and take.  Take, Take, Take.
Me:   Pondering...   Cake??
Makena: YES.  TAKE!!!  (C is still a difficult sound for her)
Me:  I don't know if Santa brings Cake.
Makena:   Where is Santa?   (putting her hand above her eyes, lookout position scanning room)   I don't see Santa.  I don't see Santa.
Me: Santa is up at the North Pole making toys.  He'll be here in a couple weeks.
Makena:   I don't see Toys. I don't see Santa.
Me:  Okay, Makena.  What song do you want?
Makena:   Santa Claus.   (Followed later by Tinkle Tinkle Little Star....as sung by Makena)

This conversation cracked me up and made my soul leap a little.  Six months ago Makena was saying 4-5 words and mostly making the sound "du" or "du du" for everything.  Her progress is amazing.  She has worked hard and we have wonderful SLPs and a Preschool to give credit too. 

Christmas for me is done.  This is all we needed.

I'm sharing a video of Makena around the beginning of May.   We had a few simple words and was just starting to put two words together, still very much working on vowel sounds and consonants.   Today we are having conversations with four -five word sentences.   I watch her progress grow every day.   Its amazing.   Tomorrow I'll share a video of where were at now.

No comments: