We took a trip to Leavenworth for the Ice Festival last weekend. It was gorgeous sunny and bitter cold. At least by our wimpy standards. We were bundled up and prepared. It was great to getaway and do something different. The girls behavior wasn't so great, but I guess that is par for the course sometimes.
| Gorgeous and Cold |
The sleigh ride was well, frigid. I tried like hell to enjoy it but between Makena calling out for snacks, and Maddy buried between us....it was uncomfortable, frozen, and difficult. I think it was about 16 degrees outside. I kept thinking about back in the "old times" as Maddy likes to call them, how this mode of travel was normal. Definitely tougher than us. We lept out of that sled, ran to a tent for some hot cocoa, and then ran to the car to turn on the heater. Next time I'll be checking weather forecast for temps, before making any reservations.
| The girls buried themselves between us toward the end of the ride. Bundled up with wool blankets and still frigid. |
A bit later we headed back into Leavenworth and went for a short dog-sled ride. Much warmer, quicker, and more smiles. A group does this every year, setting up a course right in a park in the town of Leavenworth. Some of these dogs have run the Iditarod, or so I heard someone say. The dogs loved it and once one would start howling, they all started howling. Dad and the girls had a good time too.
And then we had the inevitable meltdown that ended all smiles. Makena threw down quite a screaming mess. She was a bad combo of tired and hungry, and just done. Michael threw her over his shoulder to get us out of the dog sled area, and I can promise you we were quite the scene. Her meltdowns are loud and fierce, so we got lots of good looks. I've learned to "put the blinders on" like my Mom use to say, and just deal with Makena. We headed home a bit early after this mess. Till our next weekend getaway...
| She was screaming "Put Me Down, Put ME DOWN!!!" |
No comments:
Post a Comment