I really thought with my second baby I'd have a "Get out of Jail Free" card with regards to Hip Dysplasia. You may or may not remember, but Madelyn was diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia at 8 weeks. It was a mild case but we chose to put her in a soft brace and treat it. I had this as a newborn and it can be passed down.
But I was so sure, that we'd done our time and this baby would not have it. Not so true. Makena was also diagnosed with it on Monday. She also has a mild case. And now she has her own brace which she is learning to love...or maybe tolerate is a better word. I had a harder time with it this time..knowing what my baby and I are in for, not to mention handling it while dealing with a crazy toddler running around.
So she is in this lovely thing for 6 weeks, 23 hours a day. And then with some luck and good ultrasound pics, we'll move to 12 hours a day for another 6 weeks. All this pales in comparison to what happens if its not treated. The older the child gets the harsher the treatment is - from hard braces to multiple surgeries. I'll take the soft brace, no matter how much I detest the thing.
1 comment:
Call me crazy but I suspected this would be the case when I was working on her pictures...her frog legs gave it away!
Post a Comment